I’m suggesting to clients that self care is as important as brushing your teeth and we include a strategy as part of any business, career, relationship or parenting program. Don’t let yourself get to burn out before you make the choice to look after yourself. The quality of your work and ability to be present mindfully in life will greatly increase if you are gentle, kind and loving with yourself.
Here are some tips to help you begin a self care Sunday ritual or ceremony:
1. Lie on your back and watch the clouds go by.
2. Goof around for a bit, make time for play several times throughout the day.
3. Get out of your comfort zone, talk to a stranger, give someone an unsolicited compliment, try something new.
4. Enjoy a meal with a group of friends, talking, eating and sharing something pleasurable is a great way to increase your positive emotions.
5. Be creative, make something.
6. Plant something in your garden, get your hands dirty, feel your feet on the bare earth, water and care for your plant.
7. Light a candle and give thanks for all you’re grateful for as you focus on the flame flickering anchor the good feeling of gratitude into your physical body and notice the sensations that emerge.
Self Care Sunday is the day you can intentionally choose to be about replenishing your energy with activities that you enjoy and you do because they feel good. Doing them mindfully will give you the double benefit of receiving pleasure with the awareness you’re choosing to do something good for yourself and that’s something worth savouring!