Breathing is our connection to the life force and keeping clear balanced nasal passages is important to nourish your being. Alternate nostril breathing is a great way to clear the nasal passages and engage the different sides of your brain.
Please watch this very simple video to learn how
Here are the benefits of Alternate nostril breathing.
- If your feeling a bit flat, alternate nostril breathing can provide your body with some much needed extra energy.
- Alternate nostril breathing can improve brain function especially when clarity and concentration is poor. Do you find your easily distracted or forgetful? Breathing this way can engage both sides of the brain alternatively and improve whole brain performance.
- Practicing alternate nostril breathing in the morning and evening can remove stale air from the bottom of your lungs. Did you know that 70% of your bodies waste products are eliminated via your lungs according Tao Of Breathing by Dennis Lewis.
- A few minutes of Alternate Nostril breathing calms an agitated mind.
- It helps merge the left and right brain
- Encourages a calmer emotional state.
- It improves sleep, if you can’t sleep at night using your right hand cover your left nostril. This will activate your parasympathetic nervous system which will calm you down and slow your heart rate. Left nostril breathing is cooling, calming and nourishing for your whole being.
- A little trick you can practice in-between longer meditations that can leader to greater success in your meditation practice.
- It can switch your brain from reactive nervous system response to a relaxation response.
- It regulates the heating and cooling of your body. Left nostril is feminine, nurturing, calm, receiving and cooling. Right nostril is masculine, heat, competitive, doing, active and force.
- Alternate nostril breathing melts away an imbalances between the right and left hemisphere of your brain and calms your thinking.